Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

stirrings of spring

this winter's stillness was marked by more
than a blanket of snow over my perennials
or a pause between growing seasons

the winter's white was marked ... marred
by passings
 that disturbed the snow
 left roots exposed
changed the landscape of a familiar part of my world

so in my spring walk-abouts, I have wandered often
wondering what will still survive
what will come up gladly after the winter's barrenness
what will stir in the spring
to testify again to the Lord of life

we have wandered often, my Tyler and I
looking at peonies
this one will be red
this one will be yellow, and this one pink
a little leafed lilac
this one will be purple
the irises
these will be purple
the lady slippers
they will be yellow

the peonies this spring have awoken with abandon
plants tall and strong, with a myriad of closed fisted buds

the lilac is covered with fragrant blossoms
just outside my front door

the iris is unfolding its first purple

the lady slippers revealing their yellow

... and this baby will be Logan Samuel. 
fists still tightly closed
body gradually unfolding
eyes occasionally opening to peer carefully into a new world
brother running circles around him
calling his name
bringing him treasure
to see if it belongs to him

stirrings of spring
life refuses to be locked up




2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Dale. I'm currently reading/processing a book that I first saw on your blog some time ago - "Shop class as soul craft". What an intriguing read!
      Also would love to have a long visit sometime on the quote on your blog - it refuses to leave me alone these days "Fervor is the weapon of the impotent".
      Blessings in your day, and your family.

      Delete