Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2016

pottery 9

After the throwing and the trimming we leave the dark clay vessels on a multi-layered rack, and sometime during the week someone comes and fires them.  They come back brittle and bleached and detached.  They bear the same marks as before but they feel unfamiliar.  not mine.

It has happened a couple of times during the classes that my mind feels like unhooking.  I'm done.  I've done what I wanted to do - played in clay on a spinning wheel.
And besides, the snow is melting outside and I have to figure out where to put my sour cherry shrub.

When I start musing out loud, Randy gets worried.
You are not taking down the blue spruce to make room for the cherry.
I know I can't, I mutter.  You'd have to be crazy to think that I'd take down a blue spruce that is taller than our house and provides room for a secret nest for a family of crows!

He looks at me to be sure - did you say can or can't?  ... take down the spruce?

Can'TTT.

You never know.  I have a thing ... when something needs to be planted I find a home for it.  Take out lawn, mostly.  But I have taken out other things.

I digress.  This is not a post about spring.  This is a post about GLAZING!


My succulent pots!  
Succulent pots side view ... so much consistency :)


Our pottery wheels were covered with a sheet of plastic, and each wheel had a tub - a large summer ice cream parlour size of tub on top of it, with a thick viscous liquid that is stirred with a toilet brush. The dipping color of the glaze is quite unrelated to the final color.  The glazes we used as a beginner's class looked mostly rusty reddish brown.  The outside of the tub has a little identifying square piece of pottery with the glaze post-firing that matches with the name just to reassure us that they are not all playing with our minds.

Black (rust). Sky blue (rust). Autumn leaves (rust, of course).  Bean pot brown (rust). Floating blue (rust again). Frogskin (yup.  rust.)  Shino (GRAY!!).

First we lightly brushed any loose pottery dust away with a damp sponge. We painted liquid wax onto the bottoms, and a rim up the side so that the heat of the kiln doesn't turn the glaze on the bottom to glass and fuse it forever to the shelf in the kiln.  Then we got to start dunking.

Succulent pots half dunked

week 3's study of wonkiness beside week 7's creamer with a spout

Butter dish

1 comment: