Pages

Friday, May 20, 2016

runaway raspberries

It's as though they take a deep breath and then go underground as far as they can before coming up for air ...
"Sick.  Only made it half way through the trampoline dungeon of darkness."
"Close... made it under the slide."
"Everyone dive!"  And a clump emerges on the other side of the attempted barricade.  In the sandbox.

Thing is that I like raspberries so much that I don't discourage this behavior.  I intentionally planted them in a place where I thought they might be self contained... but no.  After a few years of acclimatization, they know where the light is.  And bolt for it.

In the battle of mint vs. raspberries, in this "fend for yourself" patch of the garden, raspberries emerge victorious.  There is not an emerging leaf of mint anywhere.  I decided not to let the creeping bellflower engage with raspberries.  Since bellflower stalks had managed to grow THROUGH the logs that attempted to stop the spread of whatever was originally planted in this border, I decided I was not going to make this a level playing field.  Raspberry trumps bellflower.  And now possibly sand box.
Bad idea Darlene.
Maybe I'll just give them a little bit of sandbox.  And see what happens.

Worth it! (last year's crop)

No comments:

Post a Comment