Pages

Thursday, August 31, 2017

on the ground

my gardens are thirsty
sunflower stems are yellowing
tips of tomato plants are red, sucking up every bit of moisture and sunshine possible
kale curls untroubled by the heat
flowers in pots stiffen by the end of the day if they don't get another drink

we feast in this season of dry summer
basil pesto and tomatoes on pizza
cucumbers sliced and feta'd
apples picked by my grandchildrens' hands
last sweet raspberries

green beans still flowering ... undaunted by consistent slug attacks
(green beans win the persistence award of 2017)
rhubarb thriving despite a spring divide
petunias DO grow on the north end of my deck ... I will repeat next year

morning glories still climbing, still starting new seeds from the ground,
quickly flowering ... knowing that their season now is short
how do they know?




2 comments:

  1. lovely Darlene. You can smell the hot dust in your writing as well as the intoxicating earthy aroma when watering. I agree with the green beans! We have foot long Fortex beans again this year - their very green flavour adding summer to any meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foot long Fortex beans!! I think that I need a picture :)

      Delete