Pages

Friday, October 14, 2016

old leather

"These are my favorite boots ..." I confessed to the man in the shop that smelled like leather and worn things.  "I live in them."
He grinned as he turned them over in his hands.  "I can tell."
"Can you fix them?"
One year ago they fixed the heels.  Gave me another winter.  Last spring the leather on the side of the left foot gave out and ripped a good three inch slice along the sole.  I convinced myself that others couldn't see the rip and kept wearing them, grimacing when stepping through wet snow, knowing that my foot would be slightly damp for the rest of the day.

He said they could fix them.  They'd stitch a flap of nylon onto the leather (with black thread so that it wouldn't be noticeable), peel back the sole and secure it underneath.  They have a bit of a back log, so they wouldn't be ready till next Friday.  Would that be ok?  I was grinning.  

Such a small thing.  But it is fun to walk into a place that understands old things that you still love. They also threw a new grip onto the heels of another set of boots so that I had something on my feet when I walked out of the shop.

In a world where empires are clashing,
where there is so much struggle over land and power,
where children are at risk, and so many lives are without value,
there is something beautiful about a person who cares for the leather on my feet.

I feel as though someone washed my feet today.



Check out the Awl Shoppe
714 2nd Ave North in Saskatoon

No comments:

Post a Comment