Pages

Monday, October 17, 2016

paying attention

My journal prompt from this morning is:  To experience creativity as part of daily living, it helps to slow down and pay attention ...

I'm amending that a bit ... it helps to pay attention even while increasing activity levels!
Josie gave me her old fitbit.  And of all the failed or guilt-induced attempts to increase my activity levels, this is not one.  I recognized with the tracking how low my actual activity levels have become... so last week I decided to walk to the mall instead of driving.  As I raked the carpet of leaves later that afternoon, my wrist started buzzing.  I had successfully passed 10,000 steps.
The fitbit was celebrating.
Seriously.  That should not have an impact on me.
but ...
yesterday after watching The Big Short, decided to head down Meewasin trail towards Waneskewin in the dusk of a cloudy evening.  The trail was quiet, except for the twilight activities of birds along the river and a few people of like mind on the trail.  A sparrow hawk screeched and swooped in the bare poplar branches above me, geese still flew overhead, following the bends of the river, and as the darkness settled into crevices and ravine an owl sounded his greeting... or warning.  A plane came in from the east for a landing, but I could find not a glimmer of light through the clouds.  Only the sound passing overhead.

This is my Father's world,
and to my listening ears
all nature sings, and round me rings
the music of the spheres

an old hymn echos in my mind this morning

journal prompt comes from "my creative contemplative journal" by april yamasaki and lois siemens

No comments:

Post a Comment